American Association for Cancer Research Congratulates Newest Institute of Medicine Members
PHILADELPHIA — The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) congratulates its members who have been elected to the Institute of Medicine (IOM), including Past Presidents Judy E. Garber, M.D., M.P.H., and Waun Ki Hong, M.D., D.M.Sc. (Hon.).
Election to the IOM is considered one of the highest honors in the fields of health and medicine and recognizes individuals who have demonstrated outstanding professional achievement and commitment to service. A total of 70 new members and 10 foreign associates were elected this year.
“On behalf of the Board of Directors of the American Association for Cancer Research, I wish to congratulate all newly elected members of the Institute of Medicine,” said Margaret Foti, Ph.D., M.D. (h.c.), chief executive officer of the AACR. “There is no doubt that hundreds of thousands of patients worldwide have benefited from their dedicated efforts, and they truly deserve this prestigious accolade.”
The following AACR members were elected to the IOM during its 2013 annual meeting:
- Katrina Alison Armstrong, M.D., physician-in-chief, Massachusetts General Hospital and Jackson professor of clinical medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass.;
- Frederick R. Appelbaum, M.D., executive vice president and deputy director, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, and president and executive director, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Seattle, Wash.;
- James R. Downing, M.D., executive vice president, scientific director, and deputy director, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tenn.;
- Eric M. Fearon, M.D., Ph.D., Emanuel N. Maisel professor of oncology, Department of Internal Medicine and professor of medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.;
- Judy E. Garber, M.D., M.P.H., AACR past president and director, Center for Cancer Genetics and Prevention at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute’s Susan F. Smith Center for Women’s Cancers, Boston, Mass.;
- Waun Ki Hong, M.D., D.M.Sc. (Hon.), AACR past president and head, Division of Cancer Medicine, American Cancer Society professor, Samsung distinguished university chair in cancer medicine, and professor of medicine, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas;
- Richard Kolodner, M.D., member and professor, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, Calif.;
- Quynh Thu Xuan Le, M.D., chairman and professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.;
- Joan M. O’Brien, M.D., William F. Norris and George E. de Schweinitz professor and chairman, Department of Ophthalmology, and director, Scheie Eye Institute, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pa.;
- Moshe Oren, Ph.D., professor of molecular cell biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel;
- Helen Piwnica-Worms, Ph.D., vice provost for science and professor of cancer biology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas; and
- Xiaoming Shen, M.D., Ph.D., professor of pediatrics, Xin Hua Hospital and Shanghai Children’s Medical Center at Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China.
For the entire list, please visit the IOM website.